Friday, January 21, 2011

Canning



This October I got so excited about canning a huge 50 lb. pumpkin I bought. I love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and figured that if I could can this ginormous pumpkin it would save me money so I wouldn't have to buy the pumpkin puree from the store. Canning intimidates me so I thought it would be easier to freeze...it was a disaster. I spent hours canning/freezing the guts of the pumpkin. I was so happy, I had beautiful freezer jars of pumpkin all ready to go. Then I pulled one out to use with the cookie recipe and it bombed. I can't use any of them now because the pumpkin puree is too watery and the cookies don't hold their shape. I am so disappointed. I haven't been able to bring myself to throw away all that hard work so they sit in my freezer as decoration.

1 comment:

  1. this is sad. I'm sorry. I think the trick is to use the right kind of pumpkin. Sugar pumpkins are supposed to be the best for eating.

    ReplyDelete